Join my mailing list for the latest news!

Please prove that you are not a robot

After quitting his full-time job to pursue his passion, Seattle-raised singer, songwriter, guitarist and author Alex Rasmussen took to the streets and music venues of America to share his beautiful noise--a unique blend of folk, rock and reggae fueled by the adventures and heartaches of a nomadic spirit. Between solo gigs and shows with his band "A Lovely Ruckus", Alex performed over 100 times in 2016 . And with 4 tours and over 150 shows under his belt for 2017, his momentum continues to grow as he tirelessly refines his craft.

Join the journey at

Find Alex's band, "A Lovely Ruckus", on Spotify and iTunes. 

Alex's novel, Coloring outside the Lines, is available here:

One Brick at a Time... 

After a gorgeous six-day trip from Austin to Seattle--complete with stops in Albuquerque, Salt Lake City and Bend, Oregon--I'm now back in the swing of Northwest livin'. My first three days at home were spent at Paradise Sound in Index, tracking vocals and putting finishing touches on a soon-to-be-released six-song EP. I'm very excited about the way these tunes are shaping up, and I'm aiming to have them finished and released before I leave for a Midwest tour on March 29th. 

In the meantime I have several solo gigs--and a few with the trio--in the area. Check the calendar for a date near you and come hang!

I'll also keep you posted as my poetry collection--Inside Out--gets more polished, though I don't have a projected release date for this project. Once the poems are cleaned up--thanks to editor, Anna Eklund--I'm going to be sending them to some publishers with the hope that some larger entity will release the work. This process will take some time, but it could be worth the wait. 

Keep checking back for updates and have a good everything!


Diverting the Flow 

A few weeks back I had a dream that I was hanging with my former Seattle band-mates. One of them told me that I should "Finish what I started."

After waking I realized that this comment came in regard to the recordings the band and I had begun a year ago; and, after speaking with that band-mate, it was revealed that the three of them had indeed held a conversation about the status of the recordings on the same night I had that dream. 

I'm always one to listen to synchronicity. And when it coincides with the inability to lock down dates with the folks I'm scheduled to work with in Texas, the choice is easy. 

I'll return to Seattle January 25th through March 29th. En route I'll meet with a good friend in Bend, Oregon, who'll be lending his phenomenal electric-guitar skills to one of the six tracks that I'll be finishing while in the Northwest. 

The sessions will continue at Paradise Sound in Index, Washington, and will feature several guest musicians to broaden the EP's tonal spectrum.  

While in the area I'll also be playing several gigs--some solo and some with other NW musicians. After two months at home, I'll shoot out to Nashville with the recordings to explore the songwriting scene and dive deep into Music City livin'. 

I'm also in the midst of the editing process for a collection of sixty poems, which will be called "Inside Out." 

Slow and steady seems to be the name of the game. And, though I am very excited to share all of these creations with everyone, I know that this work will only make the final products that much better. 

Shine on!


The Leaves, They Are A-Changin' 

Greetings from Nashville! 

The past few weeks have been spent between here and Cincinnati, Ohio.

I've played a few fun gigs (including a Cinci Farmer's Market where some costumed children held a tiny dance party), met many friendly folks, and been inspired and humbled by the abundance of talent and opportunity in Music City.  

Tomorrow I'll head back to Texas, where I'll stay for a few months. During this time I'll be evaluating a few studio options and recording some music .

After the EP is recorded and released--and a collection of my poems has been published--I'll be coming up to Nashville for a while to explore the songwriting scene and dive deep into Music City life. 

The next few months will be a blur of creativity and hard work; and I can't wait to share the finished products with you. 

In the meantime, I've posted a tune called "Blame Me", recorded between a hotel in Cincinnati and a hostel in Nashville. I slept in the van for the majority of my time up here (showering in an abandoned house), but once the temperature started dropping into the mid-thirties I figured I'd treat myself to warm water and some non-shivering sleep. 

Enjoy the song! 

I won't tell you what it's about. 

Sometimes it's more fun that way. 


Join me on Patreon! 

Greetings from beautiful Sedona, Arizona!

The journey from Seattle to Austin has been great so far--many successful gigs, friendly folks and adventurous hikes. 

Beyond all of this, I've begun to record music in my Dodge Caravan--committing myself to releasing at least one new song a month. The tunes will be recorded in the van--or in various basements, garages and studios across the country. These tracks, along with poetry, tour stories and more, will be posted on my new Patreon page:

Follow the link to check out my first van-tracked release, Come and Gone, recorded in and around Sedona. 


Mission Accomplished 

I'm pleased to report that the trip to Salt Lake City with fiddler Amanda Fitch was a great success.

We played several amazing gigs, camped for a few days in Idaho's Sawtooth Mountains and braved 105 degree heat in a '98 USPS van with no A/C. Needless to say, this van is being swapped out for one with air-cooling capabilities. Driving half-naked with the windows down (earplugs to kill road noise) did little to drop our body temperatures. Luckily we only had a few drives where the heat was so oppressive. The rest were done during morning or early afternoon before the sun could reach its sinister potential. 

Here are some highlights from the journey:

Wandering through Boise's vibrant Freek Alley--an eclectic collection of local graffiti. I could've spent a whole day taking in the art.

Camping by Skein Lake in the hills above Lake Cascade in Central Idaho. With the exception of a man and his dog, we were the only two humans on this lake. Gorgeous and serene. The next day we took in America's birthday fireworks, shot from a marina on Lake Cascade. 

On July 5th the van had a cylinder misfire en route to our gig in Twin Falls. Luckily we found an honest and competent mechanic (Steve Summers in Garden City, Idaho) who fixed the problem with time--and money--to spare. 

Utah offered several engaging and rewarding gigs; my favorite of which being the Self Care Sanctuary in Murray where we were encouraged to blend poetry and the reading of a chapter of my novel into our set. Toward the end of the performance, viola master Rebecca Suelzle took the stage and added her magic to a few songs. (She has yet to confirm, but may be joining me when I return to the Self Care Sanctuary on September 8th).

The next night--after a day of wakeboarding and swimming at Jordanelle State Park--we played the rooftop deck at the Boneyard in Park City, complete with 360 views of the Wasatch Mountains, a gorgeous office for the evening. Amanda flew home the next morning for a gig with her band Bootleg Sunshine. I hiked to Jupiter Peak (elevation 10,000 feet) with a few friends and their pup. There, we watched some paragliders sail into the sun before descending so I could play the tour's final gig at a Park City winery. 

On Monday I did some booking work at a cafe and enjoyed some improvised jazz with a friend in downtown SLC before beginning the 14-hour trek home, which happened to coincide with my 30th birthday. Spending that day on the road was a perfect opportunity to reflect on my many blessings and contemplate the next decade. 

We're now back in Seattle until August 18th. On that date I'll begin a five week tour to Austin, Texas, which will be home for the fall. 

As far as the recording of the album is concerned, the process is on hold until the proper players can be found to put the finishing touches on the tunes. At this point, it's looking like I may be meeting them somewhere down South and finishing the work there. I'll keep everyone updated as new developments emerge. 

Until then, hope to see you out at a gig. Ruckus on!


Good luck, Geli! 

Geli Wuerzner, who has been my musical partner and adventure buddy for two years, is parting ways with "A Lovely Ruckus". She will be calling the Pacific Northwest home for a while; and I will be heading to Austin to explore a new music scene. I wish nothing but the best for Geli. Her influence and musicianship shaped the sound of this project; and our trip to New Orleans gave the band its name. I am extremely grateful for all the good times we've had and amazing music we made. 

Home Again, Home Again... 

The Southwest Quest was a ride--full of great gigs and personal challenges (including, but not limited to, Geli coming down with strep throat the day we rolled into Austin). Luckily, with the help of some antibiotics, she powered through and only had to sit out for one gig. Beyond this, our three weeks were filled with wonderful people, beautiful scenery (New Mexico is amazing), and copious amounts of sunshine (with the exception of the blizzard we were stuck in for three hours as we left our gig in Park City, Utah). We were treated well everywhere we went and were lucky to play to engaging and appreciative audiences at every show.
Now, we're gigging around the Northwest as we finish the recording of our album--which is set to be released in June.
Stay tuned!

South for the Winter Tour - Photo Journal 

After a little over two weeks on the road, Geli and I have once again parked the RV in the Pacific Northwest. 
Our South for the Winter tour--to Central Arizona and back--was a huge success! We played 8 (official) gigs in two weeks--not counting several Arizona open mics and an impromtu gig at a back-road bar and grill in Cornville. Always good to have your instruments with you. Never know who may want you to play during their break.

Over the course of this tour we had so many amazing experiences, met so many supportive and electric people, and enjoyed no shortage of breathtaking scenery. 
We could write a book describing the entire two weeks (which felt like a month's-worth of living), but they say a picture is worth a thousand words; so here is a photo-journal of our trip. 

These were all taken by violinist, vocalist, and snapshot extraordinaire, Geli Wuerzner.
(Except, of course, the photo of her. And the one where we're stuck at Snoqualmie Pass).

Our first night was spent in the RV, parked in a dollar-store lot in Baker City, Oregon. The low temperature was 9 degrees, which became apparent when we ran out of propane at 3 AM. Needless to say, we kept a full tank from there on out. 

Snow on the ground crossing the pass to Prescott. Not the Arizona we expected!

Geli in her natural habitat--Red Rock Heaven!

For two Sundays in a row, we were fortunate enough to play the Sedona farmer's market. Not a bad office! Tons of supportive people (many of whom showed off their dance moves), and a family of friendly vendors who showed their appreciation for our music by sending us home with bags of tasty local goodies. On our second Sunday there was also a strange little girl who would scurry around like a woodland creature with wrists limp like a T-Rex. She would crouch down in front of us, stare for uncomfortably long periods of time, and lick rocks while we played. 

Cathedral Rock in Sedona--a beautiful beast. 

Far From Folsom, on Prescott's whiskey row, was home to one of our favorite crowds of the tour. The place also had some of the coolest decor (including the mystery creature mounted on the wall), and some amazing BBQ ribs! This is also where our night hanging out with Prescott's Nin Duo began. Check them out. A very cool male / female act--possibly playing on your next cruise.

One of the greatest challenges of the tour was climbing Bell Rock in Sedona (600 feet of Sandstone) with our instruments. The trail is treacherous at times, requiring patience and laser-focus, but Geli and I--along with a new friend from Detroit, Kelly--successfully ascended, bringing an envelope of New Year's resolutions to the top from our NYE gig in Snoqualmie. Now they must come true!

Four Eight Wineworks, one of our last gigs in Arizona, is an old bank converted into a tasting room. 

Burning Tree Cellars in Cottonwood, where Geli was able to enjoy a beautiful walk along the river before a very fun gig. After the show we checked out a few local acts in downtown Cottonwood. Both were phenomenal--a gypsy jazz quartet, and a rock band who did a spot-on cover of Pink Floyd's "Brick in the Wall".

After a much-needed couple days off in Salt Lake City, Geli and I began our journey home. 

Then, after having traversed a million and one mountain passes without incident, Snoqualmie decided to close just before our return to Seattle. It was shut down for about 24 hours while road crews cleared snow and debris from the freeway. Geli and I took this opportunity to drink wine and play music in the RV while parked near a Safeway in downtown Ellensburg. 

Rather than ending the tour journal with a picture of us stuck in the snow, here's a photo of me taking a much-needed nap of a sandstone ledge near Sedona. 

Hope you've enjoyed reading this!
I'm so happy we live in a time where technology allows us to share the journey with you. 

Since being back in the Northwest, Geli and I have already been missing the sunshine, but we have only a few weeks before we head to Austin to play during the South By Southwest music festival. Until then, we've got several gigs in the Seattle area and an album to finish. 
We'll keep you posted on everything as we roll forward. 

Thanks for reading.
Ruckus on!!

A Lovely Ruckus 

2016 has been amazing!
We've played over 100 gigs this year--from Seattle to New Orleans and a few places in between.
And, as awesome as 2016 has been, 2017 is shaping up to be even better.

With the band moving into this new and exciting year, we will also be taking on a new name. 

For a time, the name Alex Rasmussen and The Road was representative of this project but, as we are growing and evolving as a band, this is so much more about a collective unit than it is about me. 

When Geli and I were in New Orleans in October--heading one afternoon to do some busking on Royal street--we passed a man smoking a cigarette who told us to "make a lovely noise". At the time, I had been ruminating on new band names, and that line of his stuck with me--a lovely noise. I played around with it a bit and, after getting the approval of the band, we came up with our new name:

A Lovely Ruckus

We are currently working on switching over all of our social media profiles and, as of January 20th, will have made the full shift. 
Our album, which we will be recording next week, will also be released under this name. 
Once the album is recorded, Geli and I will be embarking upon our South for the Winter tour of Arizona that will help us start the new year with a bang--and hopefully a bit of sunshine. 

Thank you all for the support and love you've given us this year.
We can't wait to Ruckus with you in 2017!

Next Stop: Paradise 

Since returning from the Road, the band has been super busy playing gigs and working on new material. 
During some of our down time, we were able to scope a few studios in the Seattle area. After considering our options, we have decided to record our next full-length album at Paradise Sound in Index--at the base of the Cascades near Steven's Pass. 

The month of December will be spend rehearsing and playing gigs all over town. Early January we will be tracking this album, which will hopefully be released early this spring. As soon as tracking is finished, Geli and I will hit the road again for a two week run down to Arizona's wine country. 

Once we return home, we will have a month to put finishing touches on the album before we head back to Austin for the South By Southwest music festival in March. 

We have a busy few months ahead, and we couldn't be happier!

We'll keep you posted as the band rolls forward.